Browse articles by topic

AGA: Gambling contributes $329bn to US economy


The American Gaming Association (AGA) says the economic footprint of tribal and commercial gaming in the US stood at $328.6bn (£267.9bn/ €309.9bn) in 2022.

This was outlined in a new study released by the AGA, which was carried out by Oxford Economics.

According to the study, the US gaming sector also provides 1.8 million individuals with employment, contributing $104bn in wages and salaries. The industry directly employs 700,000 people.

This results in the industry generating $52.7bn in tax revenue to federal, state and local governments.

“The US gaming industry delivers long-term growth and impact to communities, generating significant tax revenue, creating strong jobs, supporting local small businesses, and funding critical community priorities,” said AGA president and CEO Bill Miller.

Commercial casino revenue leads total

The AGA’s study stated that in 2022, the gaming industry directly generated $150.3bn in activity. The total comprised $125.9bn of casino spending and $24.4bn of other spending.

Of the casino spending, $79.9bn was generated from commercial gaming and $46.0bn was from tribal gaming. The total included money from new online channels such as sports betting and igaming.

The AGA said gaming activities generated 83.1% of the casino revenue, while the remaining 16.9% resulted from non-gaming services such as food, beverage, lodging and entertainment.

The other spending included $13.5bn spent outside gaming, known as catalytic spending. It also included $8.3bn given to paid to suppliers and $2.7bn in capital spending.

Catalytic spending includes all money spend by casino patrons outside their casino trip. It includes $4.9bn spent on transportation to the destination and $2.4bn at restaurants outside of the casinos.

The AGA also highlighted the sector was larger than the aircraft manufacturing or semiconductor industries in 2022.